The most difficult aspect of dessert wine production is arresting the primary fermentation at the desired residual sugar level. ProDessert® was developed by Proenol (in collaboration with Lallemand) to make this process easier and more effective. When using ProDessert, the alcoholic fermentation is arrested by simply removing the beads from the wine. Precautionary measures (e.g. sulfur dioxide additions, chilling and/or filtration) may still be required to completely stop or remove indigenous yeast, although less overall intervention may be needed. For example, the need for large sulfur dioxide additions or drastic tank chilling may be reduced.
Note: Each 1 kilo bag will treat approximately 264 gallons.
- Remove the beads from the 4°C(40°F) storage temperature and allow them to adjust to room temperature.
- Place the beads in barrel or tank sized ProMesh bag(s). Use 2 bags/barrel (109 g/bag) and no more than 5 kg (11 lb)/tank bag.
- Distribute the beads evenly throughout the bag(s) to ensure good contact with the rehydration solution.
- In a clean container, add 40 g/L (151 g/gal) sugar into a volume of clean, 37°C(98°F) water, 5 times the weight of the beads. (For example: 1 bag beads (2.2 lb) x 5 = 11 ÷ 8.33 lb/gal water = 1.32 gal water = 196 g sugar/1.32 gal water.)
- Once the sugar dissolves, add the bag(s) containing the beads to the rehydration solution.
- Wait 4-5 hours before inoculation.
Note: The sugar solution does not get added to the juice
- Once the beads are properly rehydrated, suspend the bag(s) in the juice at the start of fermentation.
- Shake the bag(s) 2-3 times daily and stir tanks daily to help eliminate CO2 adhering to the beads.
- Remove each bag when the desired residual sugar level is reached.
Dated expiration. Store at 4°C(40°F). Once opened use immediately.